The Asics Gel Nimbus 18 is a premium cushioned shoe targeting serious runners looking for performance in training and long-distance competitions. This shoe gives you everything that you need, whether out and about or working out at home.
Ratings by Runner's Choice
- Stability - 9.6/109.6/10
- Comfort - 9.2/109.2/10
- Design - 9.0/109.0/10
- Cushioning - 9.5/109.5/10
- Fits like a glove, utilizing a lot of clever design elements and materials to provide a better than average fit.
- Lightweight shoe perfect for long distance running.
- A wide range of sizes for men and women to select from.
- ASICS has a solid reputation among runners for producing excellent shoes.
- Excellent for minor to moderate amounts of over pronation.
- Asics Gel Nimbus 18 featuring improvements like improved fit.
We Don't Like
- Some people have said that these shoes are narrow so if you have wider feet.
- You might want to try these on first to ensure that they are a good fit.
- Shoes are less helpful with over pronation. Consider getting insoles to compensate.
- Some people report that the shoes run heavy.
- An excellent running training shoe with more than 18 years of history and evolving design, the Gel-Nimbus 18 is a solid purchase.
- If you are looking to improve your training through a pair of running shoes that will not let you down, then the ASICS Gel-Nimbus 18 represents a smart investment.
- Utilizing a range of features specifically designed to improve comfort and stability, the ASICS Gel Nimbus helps to reduce the potential risk of injury while providing a fun experience you will have again and again.
- Backed by a company known for quality, this is well worth the cost and your consideration.
ASICS Gel Nimbus 18 - Release: February 2016
Choosing the right kind of running or exercise shoes can often seem like hard work, how can you know the difference between all the fancy pairs?
The main thing when looking for the best pair of running shoes is to get ones that offer stability and also comfort to your feet. Running is a mission on its own, so the last thing you want is shoes that are uncomfortable or flimsy.
After countless hours spent carefully pouring over the details and testing these shoes with runners, I have organized the following review to let you know everything about the ASICS Gel Nimbus 18.
The shoes weigh is 10.8 oz. for men and 8.8 oz. for women. The heel to toe drop is measured at 10 mm for men and 13 mm for women. The shoe is still impressive to runners both new and experienced alike.
Designed specifically for road running, it provides superior arch support with a neutral to overpronation. Designed to be training running shoes, they have also found use in smaller distance competitive races.
It scores high on several different scales, including being among one of the best ASICS shoes, and in the top 10% for neutral pronation and road running respectively.
The AHAR (also known as ASICS High Abrasion Rubber) is a fundamental reason for why these shoes are durable. Another aspect of the worth mentioning is the sole construction. Rearfoot and forefoot gel cushioning work together with sole support to allow a lot of movement without losing that firm control necessary for the sole.
The rubber soles of them mean that you can wear them for years and don't have to worry about them giving out from under you. These kinds of shoes are usually comfortable anyway but these particular ones are so snug that you won't want to take them off, even after a particularly hard workout. The rubber sole provides a comfortable standing and running position. This aids the midsole of the foot as well.
They have a solid rubber sole that offers nothing but the best in terms of support, they come in a range of colors too and all of them look great so you are guaranteed to run in style always.
The upper part of the shoe benefits from the ASICS FluidFit design. Making them excellent training footwear, the FluidFit design provides multi-directional stretch with mesh.
The end result is a material that gives when it needs to, ensuring a stronger, and more comfortable running and jogging experience. Overall, the ASICS Gel-Nimbus 18 is sturdy and lightweight.
Size and Fit
The ASICS Gel Nimbus 18 is made for both men and women, coming in a decent selection of colors to match your personal preference. There is an incredible range in size for men with their 6-16 size selection as well as an equally extensive range for women. A narrower heel molding unique to this addition means a slightly tighter fit.
Different between ASICS GEL-Nimbus 17 and GEL-Nimbus 18
For more than half a century, ASICS has worked to produce the leading athletic equipment in the world. Serving diverse markets with quality gear, ASICS is known for manufacturing some of the best running shoes out there including the ASICS Gel Nimbus line
This newest addition to the collection features a refining of past design as well as new features. For example, the toe box has decreased slightly in size.
In addition, the cushioning that is used in the shoes is far firmer than in previous additions. Though improved foam density leads to better running experience, it also manages to increase the weight of the shoe by up to 10 additional grams.
The shoes are designed with a synthetic fabric that is both attractive and comfortable for you while wearing them. The style of the shoe means that they are nice to look at and you can choose from three different colors.
If you love everything girly then neon pink might be your idea of heaven or you could try the stylish black for a more subtle look. The memory foam GEL cushion on the heel and also the collar means that they will give you great comfort and allow you to exercise hard whether at the gym, outside or even at home.
Due to the fact that the shoes have been designed to be as durable as possible, it means that they will fully support you which will reduce the risk of any injury and will also make you run faster.
You are much less likely to suffer from injury in these shoes which means that you can start up a workout regime that will not be interrupted; this is guaranteed to improve your overall performance.
There is an impact guidance system built into the shows which mean that your foot's natural gait is enhanced and improved - helping you take stronger and smoother strides.
ASICS uses advanced technologies to manufacture timeless running shoes. Its technologies improve with each new model and making its products some of the best of all time. A few notable technologies in its arsenal are:
Impact Guidance Technology
Many novice and professional runners grapple with over pronation. To prevent the foot from rolling side-to-side, which often injures runners, ASICS has fitted a responsive Impact Guidance System in many of its running shoes. It monitors heel and toe movements when running, and realigns their transition if necessary, to stride naturally. Coupled with the Dynamic DuoMax support system in many models, this system also absorbs shock and improves the flexibility running shoes significantly.
Space Trusstic Technology
A stable running shoe prevents side-to-side flexing and career-ending injuries. This is a major reason why the innovative Space Trusstic technology ASICS uses when manufacturing midsoles are among the best worldwide. This system is very light. It is also comfortable and supports the arch well. This minimizes pronation and thus the risk of foot injuries.
Biomorphic Fit Upper
The Biomorphic Fit technology ASICS uses to manufacture the upper of its running shoes is innovative and effective. For instance, it makes the upper light and flexible. It also increases the depth and width of the toe box and cushions imperfections such toe bunions well, when exercising.
Why Buy ASICS Running Shoes?
To date, many brands of running shoes are in the market. Although most are well-built and loved by both professional and novice runners, the Anima Sana in Corpore Sano (ASICS) brand of neutral and stability running shoes is considered the best in the market for many reasons:
Since its inception, ASICS has grown to become one of the leading manufacturers of exceptional sportswear, using stringent production and quality assurance standards. With every ASICS pair of running shoes that you buy online or offline, therefore, you get value for your money.
Millions also love ASICS line of running shoes over other brands for their high level of comfort. Both neutral and stability models have cushioned interiors. They also have memory foam and or Gel padded midsoles for support and a breathable outer mesh fabric that is non-irritant and wicks out sweat and heat well. Many brands by ASICS competitors do not meet this threshold.
ASICS shoes are durable and thus, suitable for everyday use. The company uses top-of-the-line materials that do not tear or degrade easily and advanced technologies to manufacture its line of running shoes. An original pair will not only serve you well for long but also save you money that you would have otherwise spent on replacement shoes.
ASICS has developed and breakthrough technologies such as the Dual-Density Dynamic DuoMax support system that minimizes pronation; Space Trusstic system for support and Biomorphic Fit Uppers for maximum comfort, and used them to create functional and timeless shoes.
The advanced design, comfort, and ability to lower the risk of metatarsal and serious foot injuries when exercising, has won many ASICS running shoes the seal of acceptance from the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). Professional runners and world-renowned podiatrists have endorsed revolutionary brands such as the GT-2000 and ASICS GEL Nimbus.
How to Choose ASICS Running Shoes (Model - Size - Support)
1. ASICS running shoes are among the best in the market. However, not all models are suitable for all runners. To choose a model that is right for you, the first thing that you should do is to determine your foot type. Do the wet feet test on a clean piece of paper or a flat surface and check whether you are a neutral pronator, an overpronator, or an under pronator (supinator). Once done, choose an ASICS running shoe model that hugs your feet comfortably. If you are an over or under pronator, buy a model that ASICS has engineered to correct your problem. Finally, factor your personal style and terrain you exercise on when buying shoes.
2. Judging by the positive customer reviews online, most ASICS running shoes are true-to-size. Once you have determined the length and width of your feet and added a few of inches to accommodate growth, order the correct size of shoes. Do not order a shoe size larger or smaller than your true size, as is the norm when buying other brands of running shoes.
3. Finally, when buying shoes, the level of support you should go for depends on your type of feet, the foot problems you have, and the degree of protection you want when running. If you have flat feet, for instance, or are an over pronator, buy the most stable design available. If you are a natural pronator, you can buy any of ASICS’s high-performance models.
How Different Feet go with ASICS (Normal Feet - Flat Feet - Arch Feet)
Since its inception, ASICS has produced many models of running shoes engineered for normal, flat, and arched feet. If you have flat feet, for instance, models with a broader front foot such as the ASICS Gel Nimbus will work well for you.